The park cemetery of Frankenthal located at the edge of the town invites you with its rest areas, green spaces and old stock of trees to a contemplative walk. An enchanted atmosphere is conveyed to the visitor between the ivy-covered gravestones and old trees of the park cemetery, with its18.5 ha the largest inner-city recreation area.
The former cemetery chapel is situated at the main entrance, a fastidious hall building with unplastered quarrystones in a sandstone structure of the forms of the 12th century civil engineering school of Worms. The chapel was donated by Amalie Foltz and built in the years 1895-96.
The memorial built in 1841 in memory of the war veterans of Frankenthal who had fought in the Napoleonic Army, reminds one of the time, when the German Reich on the left bank of the Rhine belonged to France. The memorial is a classicist pillar on a terraced basis with a Greek helmet on the top.
A specially constructed memorial section was built in memory of the victims from Frankenthal who lost their lives in the explosion in the BASF plant at Ludwigshafen-Oppau on 21/09/1921. A memorial (1962) fitted by big sandstone cubes, a work of the artists Georg and Verena Schubert, honours the dead of the Second World War.
The two Jewish cemeteries, today a part of the large park cemetery of Frankenthal, bespeak the history of the Jews of Frankenthal. In 1820, the Jewish community purchased a field for its own cemetery on the east side. Both areas, laid out in the twenties of the 19th century respectively in 1916/17, are well-preserved and show a number of contemporary and sculpturally interesting gravestones.