A March through the History of Frankenthal
The exhibits of the urban-historical museum at the Rathausplatz (town hall place) reach from grave finds (of the best excavated Franconian burying place in the Palatinate) from 500 AD to industrial products of the 20th century. They deal with the book production in the medieval monastery of Großfrankenthal as well as the importance of August von Parseval for the development of aeronautics.
You can find treasures there such as the paintings by artists of Frankenthal dating back to about 1600 (spec inter alia Coninxloo, Mirou) and the Frankenthal Porcelain Collection1755-1800 which was used by princes at European courtyards. These artists came as Dutch refugees to the Palatinate because of their religious belief.
The cultural and art history of the former fortress town with a channel to the Rhine, and the title Third Capital of the Palatinate is presented on three floors. The bell foundry settled under the elector Carl Theodor became the basic unit of the metal working industry in Frankenthal. The museum is situated in the heart of Frankenthal with the baroque Sankt Dreifaltigkeitskirche (Holy Trinity Church) and the romantic ruins of the convent church.
In addition to the permanent exhibition of the town history several special exhibitions deal with regional and national subjects of art, culture and history. Lectures and concerts are given. Guided tours of permanent or special exhibitions are possible, too. The direction of the museum offers, as a special service, on the last Wednesday of every month (except during school holidays) the so-called “childrens museum”` ie. a conducted tour through the museum, suitable for children. The free tours are planned as an exciting voyage of discovery through history.