The building of today’s art house of Frankenthal was donated in November 1883 by the director of the sugar factory to his members of staff as a factory kindergarten. After a varied history it served as a hostel for the homeless, but had to be vacated in 2003 due to a fire.
With the aid of numerous donations and grants, the cultural endowment of Frankenthal, founded in 2004, redeveloped the building, transforming it into an attractive art house. Since Autumn 2007 representative exhibition spaces have been available there, where regional, but above all nationwide exhibitions may be organized. The exhibition area of 250 m² on the first floor is used for artists’ evenings, readings or concerts, too. A conspicuous tile pavement from the year 1888, with a few small repairs completely preserved in the original, furnishes the foyer. On the top floor, studios are rented out to the art club of Frankenthal “Die Treidler” and Uschi Freymeyer, an artist of Frankenthal.
Cultural Endowment of Frankenthal
c/o Servicebereich Bildung, Kultur und Sport
67227 Frankenthal (Pfalz)